Thursday, February 7, 2013

Freedom

One of the things that struck me in those passages from Galatians, is the idea of freedom. Paul tells us that Christ has set us free and that we are called to live in that freedom. In fact, he says that if we try to live in our own flesh or attempt to reestablish laws for our lives we are in fact sinning or giving up our freedom - enslaving ourselves. We are not to set up a long list of rules of how we should love, instead we are free to love. We can claim freedom from our sinful desires, freedom to live out love. We do not need regulations for how to live in joy, instead we claim freedom from the expectations this world holds us to so that we can have God's joy.

Do I live in freedom most days? No, I probably don't. I get bogged down in my list of things to do. I get caught up the expectations other people have for my life. I worry about what people think of me. I get down on myself when once again my sinful nature rises to the surface. But this is not what God calls me to. This is not what Christ died for. I am no longer a slave to anything of this world. I am God's own child, and I can live in freedom knowing that he loves me and has called me to his purpose.

So living out the fruits of the Spirit is not meant to be a chore. It is meant to be a life of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment