Wednesday, April 24, 2013

To Love - simple and yet complex

Last week I looked through verses that used love as a noun.  This week I focused on love as a verb.  We can love so many things.  People: God loves us, we are commanded to love each other, our neighbors, and our enemies.  Things: God's sanctuary, money, Mount Zion.  Concepts: good, commands, salvation, justice.  Actions: quarreling, talking.  God.

I know that in many languages including those in which the Bible was written, there are multiple words for love.  I wish this were true of English.

Some kinds of love come easy but seem fleeting.  I can go shopping and buy a pair of shoes I love.  I can love playing a game with my kids or having a night to myself.  I can love watching my daughter smile or my son hit a home run.  I can love the song I heard on the radio.

Some kinds of love come naturally based on the circumstance.  When my children are born I feel overwhelming love for them.  After bonding with good friends I can feel that my love for them has increased.  When I was dating, "being in love" felt fun and easy.

Some kinds of love are tougher.  I love my children even when they disobey.  I love my neighbors even when they speak badly about me.  I love my husband even after we fight.  I love the Lord with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength even when I can't feel his presence.

Not surprisingly, the first two kinds of love I mentioned can be talked about in passing in the Bible.  It is this last kind of love that the Bible treats as a command.  In fact, the biggest command - to love God and others.  Not to love when things are good.  Not to love when we first meet people.  Just to love.  Like all the time.  It's hard.

But God doesn't leave it at that for us.  He tells us and shows us all through the Bible how much he loves us.  He loved us at creation when all was good.  And he loves us each day when we give in to sinful desires.  He love us.  There are no ifs or ands or buts attached to that love.  That is tough love.

No comments:

Post a Comment