Tuesday, May 28, 2013

His Joy Our Strength

Nehemiah 8:10 - Nehemiah helps rebuild the wall around Jerusalem and the people gather to hear readings from the book of the law.  They are moved, probably by understanding how much they have been sinning.  Nehemiah encourages them saying, "Don't be dejected and sad, for the joy of the Lord is your strength!"

Do you see it?  The word of God brings them and us to repentance.  This is of course a good and necessary place to be.  BUT it is not the fullness of the life God has called us to.  He doesn't want His word to leave us in dispair.  And it won't.  Not if we really get it.  "But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners." (Romans 5:8)  Yes, I am convicted and grieved that my sin is so well sinful - unholy - that Christ had to die to save me.  But now it is finished.  God showed his love.  It is already accomplished.  God loves me that much.  While I was still a sinner - when I did not even ask for saving - he sent his son to die.  It convicts me, but it also fills me with joy.

When I was starting to date my now husband there were times when I could not stop smiling.  People wondered what was happening in my life that brought out such joy in my every day.  I simply could not stop thinking about him and how he liked me.  He wanted to spend time with me.  He told me I was beautiful.  He loved me - little old me.  I felt so special.

Well here is the God of the universe wanted to clear a path to spend time with me.  He says I'm beautifully and wonderfully made.  And he loves me.  That is joy.  That is the true source of joy.  That is His joy and that is my strength.

"I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him.  Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit." (Romans 15:13)

"The Lord is my strength and shield.  I trust him with all my heart.  He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy.  I burst out in songs of thanksgiving."  (Psalm 28:7)

So it can be for us as Nehemiah encourages.  The word of God can give us joy.  "The commands of the Lord are right, bringing joy to the heart." (Psalm 19:8)  "If your instructions hadn't sustained me with joy, I would have died in my misery." (Psalm 119:92)

No comments:

Post a Comment